San Francisco, CA
Hinge Health is creating a new health care system, built around you. Accessible to 26 million members across 1,500 customers, Hinge Health is the #1 digital clinic for joint and muscle pain, delivering superior member outcomes and proven claims reductions. We pair the industry’s most advanced motion technology and wearable pain relief with a complete clinical care team of physical therapists, physicians, and board-certified health coaches to help people move beyond pain and reduce surgeries and opioid use. Hinge Health’s HingeConnect integrates with 1 million+ in-person providers to enable earlier interventions for avoidable MSK surgeries. Four in five health plans and employers with a digital MSK solution trust Hinge Health, including Land O’Lakes, L.L. Bean, Salesforce, Self-Insured Schools of California, Southern Company, State of New Jersey, US Foods, and Verizon. Learn more at http://www.hingehealth.com.
Here at Hinge Health, we welcome all applicants and know a diverse team makes us better and stronger. We look for individuals who embody our leadership principles and we value varied experiences and skill sets. Beyond specific work experience, we also look for unique capabilities and skill sets that are key indicators an applicant will thrive in our fast-paced, frequently evolving environment. If this sounds like the kind of place you’d like to be part of, please apply – we would love to hear from you!
Hinge Health Hybrid Model:
We believe that remote work and in-person work have their own advantages and disadvantages, and we want to be able to leverage the best of both worlds. Some roles which require a greater degree of day-to-day collaboration will benefit from more in-person opportunities. Employees in hybrid roles are expected to be in office 1 day/week (Wednesdays) in hub locations that have an office, and will likely be expanded to 2 days/week in 2024.
About the Role
As a Staff-level mobile application engineer with a good understanding of end-to-end systems that include a robust set of backend services, you will be responsible for architecting solutions for our Device Software team. You will propose and help implement elegant solutions for handling Bluetooth SMART (BLE) peripheral communications within our React Native mobile application, with your acute awareness of the inherent fragility of BLE communications in the contexts of updating peripheral firmware and ensuring accurate and timely communications with health care devices. As a Staff engineer, you will be a technical software lead for our hardware/software integration team, working on the software experience that users will interact with to engage with our hardware motion sensors and our patented Enso pain relief device, as well as future hardware initiatives.
Staff engineers at Hinge Health collaborate with teammates to tackle the hardest features in a sprint and deliver foundational architecture improvements in small, safe patches. The ideal candidate thrives in a highly collaborative, cross functional environment where the end-to-end solution to a problem often involves effective cross-team communication.
We enjoy a continuous deployment DevOps culture, and take owner-operator pride in supporting our code in production with an on-call rotation. Rotations vary by team.
Our production systems rely on React Native, React, Node.js, Typescript, NestJS, GraphQL, Docker, Rails, Aptible, AWS, Postgres, Redis, Apollo, and Redux. Our workflow is trunk-based CI/CD, and our security/compliance posture is at the highest standards of healthcare, including HIPAA, HITRUST, SOC 2, and CCPA.
WHAT YOU’LL ACCOMPLISH
- Every day, you’ll work collaboratively with your teammates and cross-pod neighbors to support our mission, and solve the organization’s toughest problems while raising the bar for quality and innovation.
- Every sprint, you’ll mentor and share your domain expertise with teammates and others developers in the organization.
- Every quarter, you’ll work on groundbreaking technology; identify, propose, and execute a significant platform-wide upgrade or innovative change to workflows or tooling.
- Every year, you’ll improve the lives of millions users across the world.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Environment: At least 8+ years experience developing software in an agile team environment, with a plus for experience working with remote or distributed teams.
- Delivery: Consistent, on time, high quality delivery of architecture upgrades and elegant solutions to knotty features.
- Domain expertise: With 4+ years of practical experience with the cross-platform React Native mobile app framework, must have a deep understanding and knowledge required to architect high-performance, low-latency solutions within it. 8+ years of experience developing mobile applications (both Android and iOS) preferred. A familiarity with Bluetooth SMART (BLE) communications is a strong plus, or some experience with wireless peripherals (particularly medical devices) more generally. Knowledge of end-to-end solution design that includes robust back-end services is a strong plus.
- Problem Solving: Breaks down large scale projects into loosely coupled subsystems or strategically sequenced milestones. Designs cost-effective solutions, innovates with rapid spikes, avoids “penny wise, pound foolish” trade offs.
- Communication: Clear, inclusive communication with both teammates and non-technical partners. Mentors other team members effectively, helping them expand their reach over time.
- Leadership: Able to propose major code or best practice upgrades, lead healthy discussions that improve the proposal, and lead adoption from the front. Works within compliance guidelines, makes long-term architecture decisions.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent technical degree or equivalent experience.
WHAT YOU’LL LOVE ABOUT US
- Inclusive healthcare and benefits: On top of comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage, we offer employees and their family members help with gender-affirming care, tools for family and fertility planning, and travel reimbursements if healthcare isn’t available where you live.
- Planning for the future: Start saving for the future with our traditional or Roth 401k retirement plan options which include a 2% company match.
- Modern life stipends: Manage your own learning and development budget, use the mental health to support therapy costs, and lifestyle stipends to cover your favorite wellness services, and work-from-home equipment.
- Flexible vacation and paid time off: Employees have flexibility to choose when, how, and why they take time off to rest and recharge. Exempt employees can take advantage of our flexible PTO program. Nonexempt employees can utilize up to two weeks of sick time and up to 17 days of vacation per year, including mental health days.
- In-office perks: Daily lunch, coffee/tea and office snacks, and weekly social hours.
- Other compensation: At Hinge Health, we want every employee to be invested and rewarded in the future success of the company. All full-time positions are eligible for equity.