Who We Are:
At Brooks, we believe a run can change a day, a life, the world. Everyone who works here is a key part of our obsession to make the best running gear on the planet. We want our business — which also happens to be our passion — to be a place where everyone feels welcome and comfortable being themselves. Our company culture defines us, bonds us together, and drives our success. We live this culture daily through our brand values: Runner First, Word is Bond, Champion Heart, There is no “I” in Run, and Keep Moving. This means we always solve for the runner, do what we say we will, give it our all, are generous with our humanity, and find a way to keep moving every day, because joy is kinetic.
Are you ready to help create something extraordinary?
The mission of the Run Research Team is to create and leverage novel, scientific concepts and runner-driven product performance insights to create amazing products to help everyone run their path.
As the Run Research Data Scientist II, you will be an integral part of the Run Research Team helping to create the future of the run. You will be a critical part of the data pipeline creation process that enables our team to create amazing products for our runners. You will be responsible for exploring new data sources from collection to optimization and engaging tools that enable quick and efficient iterations. You will work cross functionally, collaborating with Run Performance Research Scientists and Run Perception Researchers to make qualitative and quantitative data from runners accessible for data analytics. You will partner with members of the IT Data & Analytics team for the integration and iteration of new data sources on the enterprise data platform. The right candidate is excited, curious, and passionate about optimizing the Run Research Team’s data to support our next generation of products and data initiatives.
- Lead assigned data science initiatives for projects combining a large variety of human performance and runner behavior data, including but not limited to kinetics, kinematics, physiology, runner preferences, and runner perception.
- Work collaboratively with enterprise data and analytics teams to create and evolve self-service pipelines for data sources used by the Run Research Team.
- Lead the accessibility of enterprise and self-service data, data applications, data cleaning and data optimization for Run Research Team members.
- Lead data preparation (cleaning and optimization) at scale including interfaces between Brooks and third-party systems to enable real time data preparation from a variety of data sources for further analysis.
- Own the creation of analytical models and methodologies across multiple data sources.
- Represent the Run Research Team, providing your point of view on key architectural and technical decisions as they apply to Run Research Data, including but not limited to kinetics, kinematics, physiology, runner preferences, and runner perception.
- Lead collaborative initiatives with appropriate data owners across the company to deliver on data and analytics requirements within Run Research. Data owners and key stakeholders include but are not limited to Run Research, Run Sights, Development, Product Line Management, Design, Digital Products, and Information Technology.
- Own the integration of new data sources and analytical methods with external collaborators.
- Lead the creation of specialized development tools and coding to create product features, enhance and / or customize software components.
- Anticipate data quality concerns, creating data cleaning tools that will ensure data quality is held to the highest standards prior to analysis. Lead on-going run research data service delivery, including documentation and ownership of relevant change control requests including evaluation, test, implementation and verification.
- Perform root cause analysis to proactively resolve product and operational issues.
- Own application testing (new support packages, releases, functionality, customization) in close cooperation with the data enterprise team.
- Further advance your understanding of development tools, technologies, and related delivery materials, enabling creative problem solving and identification of innovative product solutions that maximize the run performance.
- M.Sc. in Computer Science, Data Science, or related engineering field with an emphasis in biomechanics (Kinesiology, Physiology, Exercise Science, etc.) plus 3+ years of relevant work experience or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training (e.g. Bachelors and 5+ years).
- Knowledge of anatomy, physiology, running biomechanics, running performance and injury prevention.
- 5+ years’ experience with data management tools and industry standard relational database systems preferably in the lab-based setting; can be a combination of education and work experience.
- Expert knowledge of database technologies.
- Advanced experience working with human subject data (3D motion capture, kinematic and kinetic models, EMG, plantar pressure systems, V02 max) required.
- Experience in developing algorithms and analytical models.
- Significant experience writing programs to analyze human performance and runner perception data is strongly preferred (Python, SQL, MATLAB, KNIME, Qualtrics).
- Significant experience with data visualization tools such as Tableau required.
- Advanced experience in collaboration with cross-functional teams, both technical and non-technical. Proven ability to lead and influence in a collaborative, cross-functional group to meet strategic objectives.
- Proven experience leading data science initiatives related to performance athletic product.
- Keen attention to detail. Organizational and time management skills with the ability to plan, organize and execute tasks with short timelines.
- Demonstrated ability to develop highly productive relationships with individuals and teams that are made up of diverse disciplines and cultural backgrounds resulting in effective working relationships across the company.
- Lead with an independent work ethic and demonstrate the ability to know when to reach out for support.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with an advanced ability to communicate points of views concisely and functional expertise within project teams and to external stakeholders.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Curious and open minded – be open to a challenge and always looking to improve our products and processes.
- Demonstration of innovation and initiative – always looking at improving our products and processes while also displaying a willingness to dive into the details and help out wherever necessary.
- Travel 5% of the time.
- A positive attitude that embraces and lives the Brooks values!