Our north star is to make healthcare more accessible around the world. We are doing this by advancing cell biology to develop innovative solutions for human health.
Founded in 2012, and located in one of the largest biotech hubs in the world, Slingshot Biosciences is a growing life sciences company with a platform technology and paradigm-shifting mission to make synthetic cells the gold standard for all cell-based applications. We currently have a suite of products that allow for rapid, stable instrument deployment and are poised to make headway into clinical markets with controls for engineered cell therapies.
At Slingshot, we value diversity and believe that a variety of backgrounds and experiences leads to more innovative ideas and a better understanding of our customers. Passion is at the core of our values, and employees are encouraged to pursue their passions in their work and contribute to the company’s overall mission.
We desire motivated team members who appreciate the freedom to be creative and think outside the box to solve problems. We offer an environment where employees are empowered to take ownership of their work, and have the ability to quickly contribute new ideas and iterate on current processes. In everything we do, we are dedicated to delivering top-quality products and services to our customers which ultimately makes a significant impact on patient care.
Slingshot Biosciences is seeking an experienced Systems Engineer to spearhead automation, process engineering, and continuous improvement initiatives that support the scaling and transfer of our synthetic cell product lines from R&D to Manufacturing. This role will require proficiency with a variety of custom and off-the-shelf instrumentation and automation platforms as well as with hands-on wet lab bench work. Proactive communication, diligent execution and documentation of complex workflows, and a highly collaborative mindset will be critical to success. We also place a premium on creativity, intellectual curiosity, flexibility, resiliency, drive, and a proactive, can-do attitude. This is a full-time, on-site position at Slingshot’s headquarters in Emeryville, CA, reporting to the Director of Engineering and Process Development. For the successful candidate this will be a fantastic opportunity in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and a chance to deliver products that will positively impact human health.
- Develop, support, and maintain custom instrumentation platforms that integrate microfluidics, optics, automated liquid handling, and custom labware and consumables.
- Translate production assays, QC assays, vialing procedures, and other wet lab processes into automated workflows using Hamilton or similar automated liquid handling systems.
- Identify and validate/qualify new equipment, kits, and other products and tools to improve consistency and throughput of production workflows.
- Identify and validate alternative sources of critical raw materials, develop incoming QC processes to ensure supply chain robustness and consistent product quality.
- Generate and deliver technical reports, lead technical reviews, generate SOPs, and train other technical staff.
- Continually identify areas for process improvement, optimization, and automation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Advanced degree in bioengineering, chemical engineering, systems engineering, computer science or related field with 5+ years industry experience.
- Experience in several of the following is required (the more the better): lab automation (especially automated liquid handling, e.g. Hamilton or similar), Python, LabVIEW, microfluidics, process and test method optimization/validation, optics and image processing algorithms, statistical methods, rapid prototyping, technology transfer, design control, ISO-9001 / ISO-13485, Gage R&R, FMEA, experience in a start-up environment.
- Experience with the following is preferred: flow cytometry, polymer chemistry, conjugation chemistry, biochemistry, stability studies, immunoassays, protein purification methods, lyophilization.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills, meticulous attention to detail.
- Proactive approach to time management and effective task prioritization.
- Strong problem-solving skills, eagerness and ability to troubleshoot experimental issues independently.
What we offer at Slingshot:
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k)
- Stock Option Plan
- Paid Time Off (Vacation & Sick)
- Family Leave
- Life Insurance
- Fully stocked break room with food, snacks and beverages
Slingshot Biosciences requires employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation. Proof of such vaccination will be required as part of the hiring process.
Slingshot Biosciences is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Legal authorization to work in the United States is required. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.