Who are we?
Kodiak is one of the fastest growing food companies that is disrupting the industry with its better-for-you breakfast and snacking options. Our journey with food began by restoring the tradition of whole grain flapjacks and adding some protein to fuel folks’ adventures. In the process, we discovered that foods made closer to nature are not only fueling but taste better. So, we set out to inspire wilder, wide-open lives by feeding epic days through real breakfasts. That’s one of the reasons we’re in the scenic Rocky Mountains of Park City, Utah: to live our purpose and be close to nature.
Our mission is to become the most loved, next generation food brand, and we’re well on our way. We craft the best-selling whole grain flapjack mix in the nation along with toaster waffles, baking mixes, oatmeal, syrup, and snacking options at all major retailers. We’re expanding rapidly as our business continues to grow year-after-year and need to build our team with people that share our passion for the outdoors, bring industry experience, thrive in an entrepreneurial culture, and want to make an impact in the food space. We believe that eating real, good-for-you food, being active outdoors, and preserving nature will restore balance generations before us worked so hard to forge. We embrace the spirit of the Kodiak – a pristine wilderness with a rich ecosystem – and we rely on that spirit of the Kodiak to inspire the work we do, the food we eat, and the way we play.
Job Type: Full-Time, Exempt
Job Location: Kodiak HQ: Park City, Utah
What will this position do?
The Associate Director of R&D role is an integral member of our Product Development team responsible for creating new products for our portfolio. Your development of delicious and nutritious products will have a significant impact on the success of the company. To achieve your objectives, you must use strategic thinking to understand and interpret flavor trends, identify and test ingredients in the food space and solve complex technical challenges in food production. You will need to work effectively with internal and external teams across Supply Chain, Operations, Procurement, Brand and Quality.
- Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: Apply technical knowledge to conduct product development work, which includes the development of bench top prototypes that are safe, stable and legal.
- Partner with Process Engineering to drive scale-up of products for commercialization
- Conduct in depth research, create reports, and effectively communicate technical results
- Effectively conduct trouble shooting and root cause analysis for product issues
- Provide mentorship and project oversight to team members and temporary staff/interns
- Develop understanding of strategic ingredients, products, processes and packages to support development of new products
- Utilize strong communication with all stakeholders regarding project deliverables
- Represent Kodiak at internal company meetings, external trade shows and industry events
- Model Kodiak values and principles
- Perform other job-related duties as requested by management, such as internal customer requests and ad hoc analysis
- Deliver technical results, including sensory shelf life data to senior leadership and trial results
- Lead strategic formula development in Growth Categories, including translating consumers insights into product concepts and optimizations
- Develop and own R&D Roadmap to continue to be leaders across our core categories
What are we looking for?
- Experience leading in Product Development / R&D in the CPG industry; preferably with bar development
- Experience working with contract manufacturers
- Excellent communication skills with all levels of the organization
- Can effectively balance several high priority projects simultaneously
- Adaptive and flexible mindset – can pivot directions with grace
- Travel 25%
What else do I need to know?
This role is based in our headquarters near the ski slopes and mountain trails of Park City, Utah. We have a hybrid schedule. We offer competitive compensation and benefits that include:
- Health/vision/dental plans
- 401k match
- Relocation assistance
- Annual performance bonus
- A company fleet of snowboards and other equipment
- Active lifestyle allowance
- Therapy Benefit
- All-you-can-eat flapjacks
- Flexible vacation
- Early-out Fridays
- Parental leave
- Casual dress code
- A variety of other Kodiak-unique perks
Recognized by Inc and Utah as one of America’s best places to work, we are known for our awesome work environment – a fun and authentic place where wins are celebrated, collaboration is king, work is balanced with life, and every individual makes a deep impact. We proactively search for ways to develop each individual along their career path here at Kodiak and beyond. We‘re inspired and committed to creating natural, authentic food with superior taste to fuel a healthy, active lifestyle. We feel encouraged by some of the trends in food today and believe that with a concerted effort we can make an enormous impact in building momentum for natural, better-for-you foods. We invite you to apply to join our team and leave your legacy on the future of food.
At Kodiak, we foster a truly inclusive community that encourages, supports, and celebrates what makes each of us unique. We bring our full authentic selves to work and leverage our diverse backgrounds and perspectives to create a culture of belonging that feeds epic days & wilder lives.