Who are we?
Kodiak is one of the fastest growing food companies that is disrupting the industry with its better-for-you breakfast and snacking options. Our journey with food began by restoring the tradition of whole grain flapjacks and adding some protein to fuel folks’ adventures. In the process, we discovered that foods made closer to nature are not only fueling but taste better. So, we set out to inspire wilder, wide-open lives by feeding epic days through real breakfasts. That’s one of the reasons we’re in the scenic Rocky Mountains of Park City, Utah: to live our purpose and be close to nature.
Our mission is to become the most loved, next generation food brand, and we’re well on our way. We craft the best-selling whole grain flapjack mix in the nation along with toaster waffles, baking mixes, oatmeal, syrup, and snacking options at all major retailers. We’re expanding rapidly as our business continues to grow year-after-year and need to build our team with people that share our passion for the outdoors, bring industry experience, thrive in an entrepreneurial culture, and want to make an impact in the food space. We believe that eating real, good-for-you food, being active outdoors, and preserving nature will restore balance generations before us worked so hard to forge. We embrace the spirit of the Kodiak – a pristine wilderness with a rich ecosystem – and we rely on that spirit of the Kodiak to inspire the work we do, the food we eat, and the way we play.
Job Type: Full-Time, Exempt
Job Location: Kodiak HQ: Park City, Utah
What will this position do?
Kodiak is looking for an entrepreneurial paralegal to join our Legal & Regulatory team. The Paralegal will work closely with our General Counsel, Manager of Regulatory Compliance, and cross-functional business teams to drive growth and manage risk for Kodiak and our brand. You will help manage a portfolio of important legal work, including review of claims and marketing materials, contract management, drafting and negotiation, corporate governance, and compliance program management. You will have the opportunity to shape new processes and ways of working to leave your mark on Kodiak and the consumers that we serve.
- Advise Kodiak’s marketing team on the creation of marketing claims and materials, including digital marketing materials, sweepstakes, and social media campaigns
- Help create and manage a contracts management system
- Assist in the review, drafting and negotiation of contracts
- Coordinate board of director-related compliance matters, including minute books and other board materials
- Help create and maintain compliance policies and processes, including related to ethics, privacy, and regulatory compliance
- Assist in creating and giving company trainings
- Be responsible for independent project management and partnership with cross-functional business teams
- Develop and implement best practices and process improvements
- Assist with the management of litigation, including coordinating document production and preparing correspondence
- Help manage day-to-day legal department operations
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
What are we looking for?
- 4+ years of paralegal experience (in-house experience or working closely with in-house counsel a plus but not required)
- Prior experience working with consumer packaged goods companies (especially food or beverage) a plus
- Experience advising marketing teams on legal requirements related to marketing claims and campaigns a plus
- Ability to review, draft and negotiate commercial contracts (with supervision from an attorney)
- Team player who can work with a variety of different stakeholders (lawyers and non-lawyers)
- Good judgment and the ability to identify and assess legal and business risks
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills, strong communicator (oral and written), detail-oriented
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, prioritize appropriately, and meet critical (and often quick) deadlines
What else do I need to know?
This role is based in our headquarters near the ski slopes and mountain trails of Park City, Utah. We have a hybrid schedule. We offer competitive compensation and benefits that include:
- Health/vision/dental plans
- 401k match
- Relocation assistance
- Annual performance bonus
- A company fleet of snowboards and other equipment
- Active lifestyle allowance
- Therapy Benefit
- All-you-can-eat flapjacks
- Flexible vacation
- Early-out Fridays
- Parental leave
- Casual dress code
- A variety of other Kodiak-unique perks
Recognized by Inc and Utah as one of America’s best places to work, we are known for our awesome work environment – a fun and authentic place where wins are celebrated, collaboration is king, work is balanced with life, and every individual makes a deep impact. We proactively search for ways to develop each individual along their career path here at Kodiak and beyond. We‘re inspired and committed to creating natural, authentic food with superior taste to fuel a healthy, active lifestyle. We feel encouraged by some of the trends in food today and believe that with a concerted effort we can make an enormous impact in building momentum for natural, better-for-you foods. We invite you to apply to join our team and leave your legacy on the future of food.
At Kodiak, we foster a truly inclusive community that encourages, supports, and celebrates what makes each of us unique. We bring our full authentic selves to work and leverage our diverse backgrounds and perspectives to create a culture of belonging that feeds epic days & wilder lives.