About This Role
Strava is the leading digital community for active people with more than 120 million athletes, in more than 190 countries. The platform offers a holistic view of your active lifestyle, no matter where you live, which sport you love and/or what device you use. Everyone belongs on Strava when they are pursuing an active life.
We are seeking server engineers to join our dynamic teams at Strava. Successful candidate will be pivotal in shaping the infrastructure and user experience for Strava’s massive athlete community.
For more information on compensation and benefits, please click here.
You’re excited about the Groups, Creator, and Social Team because you will:
- Be part of the team focused on helping Strava athletes build their community on the platform.
- Work closely and collaborate with engineers from all of Strava’s technical platforms (iOS, Android, Web, Server) and cross functional partners to build athlete-facing features.
- Work on and help own major platform tools, surfaces, and services such as messaging, posts, video, photos, and clubs.
- Contribute to implementing our tech vision and help transition us to new technologies.
- Be a part of a hard-working team with great product and technology knowledge.
You’re excited about the Activation Team because you will:
- Engage in a role crucial to the onboarding and retention of Strava users. As a part of the Growth organization, you will join a team dedicated to rigorous experimentation, aiming to expand our user base perpetually.
- Collaborate with a myriad of professionals, including mobile and web engineers, product designers, analysts, and marketers, crafting the user journey from sign-up to long-term usage.
- Champion the development and iteration of features that enhance user retention and onboarding.
You’re excited about the Subscription Growth team because you will:
- Work with a team of engineers, designers, product managers and analysts to build Strava’s subscription platform and product
- Help define the future of payments and subscriptions on the iOS platform at Strava
- Use experimentation to optimize the subscription lifecycle
- impact the experience of tens of millions of athletes.
You will be successful here by:
- Demonstrating empathy for athletes and their experience while using Strava
- Taking ownership of your work, partnering with cross-functional peers to ensure services are properly scoped and implemented.
- Building well-documented and easy-to-use systems that are quickly and widely adopted across our engineering organization
- Contributing to an inclusive and collaborative team culture
- Be willing to explore and learn new technologies outside of your comfort zone
We’re excited about you because:
- Have built services in a production environment, using languages like (but not limited to) Ruby, Java, Scala, Python, Go, etc.
- Have built, supported, or owned internal tools and experiences that are powered by backend technologies like Scala microservices and Ruby on Rails
- Have experience with relational or NoSQL databases in production (we use MySQL, Redis, and Cassandra)
- Have experience with open-source distributed systems technologies (we use Kafka, Finagle, Kubernetes, and Docker)
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes who we are and what we do. We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. And with billions of activity uploads from all over the world, we have a humbling and audacious vision: to be the record of the world’s athletic activities and the technology that makes every effort count.
Strava builds software that makes the best part of our athletes’ days even better. And just as we’re deeply committed to unlocking their potential, we’re dedicated to providing a world-class, inclusive workplace where our employees can grow and thrive, too. We’re backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, and we’re expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. Our culture reflects our community – we are continuously striving to hire and engage diverse teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know we are a stronger team together.
Despite challenges in the world around us, we are continuing to grow camaraderie and positivity within our culture and we are unified in our commitment to becoming an antiracist company. We are differentiated by our truly people-first approach, our compassionate leadership, and our belief that we can bring joy and inspiration to athletes’ lives — now more than ever. All to say, it’s a great time to join Strava!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.