Sword Health is on a mission to free two billion people from pain as the world’s first and only end-to-end platform to predict, prevent and treat pain.
Delivering a 62% reduction in pain and a 60% reduction in surgery intent, at Sword, we are using technology to save millions for our 2,500+ enterprise clients across three continents. Today, we hold the majority of industry patents, win 70% of competitive evaluations, and have raised more than $300 million from top venture firms like Founders Fund, General Catalyst, and Khosla Ventures.
Recognized as a Forbes Best Startup Employer in 2023, this award highlights our focus on being a destination for the best and brightest talent. Not only have we experienced unprecedented growth since our market debut in 2020, but we’ve also created a remarkable mission and value-driven environment that is loved by our growing team. With a recent valuation of $2 billion, we are in a phase of hyper growth and expansion, and we’re looking for individuals with passion, commitment, and energy to help us scale our impact.
Joining Sword Health means committing to a set of core values, chief amongst them to “do it for the patients” every day, and to always “deliver more than expected” on behalf of our members and clients.
This is an opportunity for you to make a significant difference on a massive scale as you work alongside 800+ (and growing!) talented colleagues, spanning two continents. Your charge? To help us build a pain-free world, powered by technology, enhanced by people — accessible to all.
As a Controller at Sword Health, you will assume a pivotal role in our financial leadership team, guiding our corporate accounting functions with excellence and precision. Your responsibilities encompass team oversight and leadership, where you will provide direct supervision and guidance to our accounting team, fostering their professional growth and motivation. Your technical prowess will shine as you offer expert insights on GAAP, Tax, and Statutory reporting, acting as a vital resource for the entire organization. Your in-depth knowledge of specific accounting policies will ensure the accuracy and compliance of our financial practices.
Financial management and compliance will be under your astute control, managing relationships with external auditors, implementing critical accounting and reporting policies, and strategically directing our global tax planning and compliance efforts. Your ability to drive timely financial close processes will ensure the reliability of our financial reporting.
In addition to your technical responsibilities, you will play a key role in identifying opportunities for process enhancement and actively collaborate with other departments to facilitate cross-functional synergies. Your willingness to work collaboratively across the organization and your readiness for international travel to key locations demonstrate the dynamic nature of this role. If you are a finance leader seeking a multifaceted and impactful position, we invite you to join our dedicated team at Sword Health.
Development of processes and systems that are simple, scalable and business friendly:
– Build systems and processes that concurrently enhance efficiency and elevate the quality of the final output with a focus on user-friendliness,
– Identify opportunities and drive projects to improve business processes and support.
– Serve as the Company’s expert on accounting matters and collaborate with other departments on accounting-related matters.
-Works collaboratively across the organization to address issues
Financial Management and Compliance:
– Manage external auditor relationships and audit procedures.
– Establish, implement, manage, and monitor critical accounting and reporting policies and processes.
– Direct the tax strategy, planning, and compliance across global jurisdictions.
– Drive timely month-end, quarter-end, and year-end close processes.
– Manage the setup and management of new international entities and corporate structures.
Team Oversight and Leadership:
– Provide direct oversight to the corporate accounting team, including various
– Lead, motivate, and develop talent within the organization.
Technical Expertise and Guidance:
– Provide technical guidance across the business related to GAAP, Tax, and Statutory reporting.
– Serve as a subject-matter expert on specific accounting policies.
Travel: International travel required, including specific locations.
Professional experience/ background
Education and Experience:
– Bachelor’s degree in accounting with 10+ years’ experience
– Experience at a Big 4, or a major regional firm
– CPA required
– Finance leadership experience in a complex multinational organization
– Proven experience in streamlining and documenting processes, and building systems
Startup and Growth Environment:
– 5+ years at a series C to IPO
– Experience taking a company public
– Ability to explain financial issues or concepts to a non-financial audience
– Self-starter, detail-oriented, and efficient
Technical Accounting and Financial Expertise:
– Strong knowledge of U.S. GAAP with expertise in internal controls and technical accounting
– Familiarity with local, state, federal, and international tax regulation
– IFRS experience welcome but not required
– Global Supply Chain and inventory management accounting experience welcome but
Communication and Leadership Skills:
– Excellent communication, presentation, and organizational skills
– Exceptionally strong judgment and integrity
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills
– Exceptional team leadership skills and ability to hire, develop, and evaluate team members
International and Entity Management:
– Experience with managing international entities
– Collaborative, team player