About This Role
Strava is the leading digital community for active people with more than 120 million athletes, in more than 190 countries. The platform offers a holistic view of your active lifestyle, no matter where you live, which sport you love and/or what device you use. Everyone belongs on Strava when they are pursuing an active life.
To further this mission, we’re looking for an experienced Retention Marketing leader and expert to join our global Growth Marketing team at Strava. Leading a direct team of data-driven marketers, you’ll help educate and motivate our community by amplifying their on and off-platform Strava experiences through owned communications (Email, Push, In-Feed, etc.) and lifecycle journeying. As an expert in personalization and experimentation, you’ll be responsible for developing and implementing lifecycle marketing strategies across the funnel that’ll help fuel, accelerate, and restart our customer growth loops — collaborating across Marketing, Product, Engineering, Insights, and more to drive major business impact, together. As an owner/operator-styled leader, you’ll balance the macros and micros of the role, from building a team vision and lifecycle marketing roadmap to partnering with and influencing your direct team and cross-functional partners on implementing it. At the heart of it all, you’ll be a connector — of dots, of people, of insights, of user journeys — who can cultivate and champion a culture of curiosity and partnership.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you’ll get to:
- Lifecycle Vision: Set the overall insights-led Retention and lifecycle vision, defining critical short-and long-term priorities to enhance our program, driving us toward that vision and expanding its impact on an ongoing basis.
- Personalization: Partner with ML to help drive our lifecycle and comms personalization agenda forward, influencing improvements across our tech stack to enable testing and ensure maximal impact on our engagement and re-engagement channels.
- Experimentation: Build and grow a high-velocity testing framework in partnership with Engineering & Analytics aimed at constantly increasing testing throughput and reducing ship-time production, and partner with Product, Acquisition, and more to construct omni-channel testing that drives incremental revenue.
- Lifecycle Triggers & Comms: Unlock the needs of our core stack in partnership with Product and MarTech, and deeply understand our customers to drive customized comms based on scalable triggers.
- Creative & Messaging: Partner with Product Marketing and Design to develop scalable and qualitative insights-backed creatives to be deployed across our owned communications channels.
- Funnel Optimization: Collaborate across the funnel and across the organization to meet the metric moments of each lifecycle — e.g. Growth Product to improve Activation post-download and Subscriber engagement post-conversion.
- Mentorship: Lead, mentor, and grow a team of high-performance Retention Marketers, fostering a culture of customer-centricity, curiosity, and experimentation.
You will be successful here by:
- Being the Ultimate Player-Coach: Setting the larger vision and strategy for the team as beautifully as you can get into the weeds of a CRM platform to support the development of the teams’ technical skill sets.
- Collaborating at the Highest Level: Partnering with vast cross-functional teams, you’re constantly seeking opportunities to learn, drive meaningful impact, and help to rally a cross-functional team toward a unified, outcome-based vision.
- Leading Transformation & Embracing Ambiguity: Thriving in an ever-evolving environment of business needs and priorities, your growth mindset helps you see and strive toward the opportunities.
- Taking an Audience-First Approach: Putting our target audiences at the center of every decision you make, developing an understanding of how best to reach and inspire said audiences, and knowing what data to leverage and how to access and interpret it.
- Root Everything In Data: With data at the heart of everything you do, your analytical prowess will help fuel always-on learning through clear experimentation roadmaps and a continuous loop of innovation and optimization.
We’re excited about you because you have:
- 10+ years in growth or marketing, at least 3-5 years on Retention, CRM, or Lifecycle teams.
- Experience leading high-performance teams, mentoring talent, and defining long-term career competencies for Growth teams.
- Deep understanding of CRM systems and best practices, including segmentation, automation, and owned communications platforms (Iterable experience a major plus).
- Highly analytical with deep, intuitive knowledge of metrics, funnel optimization, measurement and attribution, and experimentation — to fuel continuous learning and optimization, and socialization of said learnings.
- Readiness to operate in ambiguous roles that you can help refine over time to streamline partnerships across inter-functional and cross-functional teams like Product, Analytics, Brand & PMM, Engineering, UXR, and more.
- Eagerness to take ownership of unrefined processes that you’ll help refine over time.
- Tech marketing experience strongly preferred; fitness industry experience a plus, but not at all required.
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes who we are and what we do. We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. And with billions of activity uploads from all over the world, we have a humbling and audacious vision: to be the record of the world’s athletic activities and the technology that makes every effort count.
Strava builds software that makes the best part of our athletes’ days even better. And just as we’re deeply committed to unlocking their potential, we’re dedicated to providing a world-class, inclusive workplace where our employees can grow and thrive, too. We’re backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, and we’re expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. Our culture reflects our community – we are continuously striving to hire and engage diverse teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know we are a stronger team together.
In light of the global pandemic, Strava is currently working in a distributed capacity. As always, we remain committed to fully supporting our employees, especially their mental health and wellbeing, through these challenging times. Despite challenges in the world around us, we are continuing to grow camaraderie and positivity within our culture and we are unified in our commitment to becoming an antiracist company. We are differentiated by our truly people-first approach, our compassionate leadership, and our belief that we can bring joy and inspiration to athletes’ lives — now more than ever. All to say, it’s a great time to join Strava!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.