About This Role
Strava is the leading digital community for active people with more than 120 million athletes, in more than 190 countries. The platform offers a holistic view of your active lifestyle, no matter where you live, which sport you love and/or what device you use. Everyone belongs on Strava when they are pursuing an active life.
Reporting to the Senior Accounting Manager, this role will be an integral part of bringing the vision of what the Strava product can be for athletes through driving strategic company-wide efforts, driving and enabling scale and footprint expansions and preparing for public-company readiness.
In this role, you will collaborate across the company to drive our revenue close and reporting process in accordance with US GAAP and support the research and analysis of technical issues. You will play a lead role in supporting the growth and development of a highly talented team that enables our business growth, aligns team development with company goals and values, and continues to evolve our accounting and reporting infrastructure.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will:
- Lead, prepare and manage all aspects of the monthly revenue close activities, including preparation and review of revenue, accounts receivable and deferred revenue related journal entries, reconciliations and flux analysis.
- Lead analysis of accounting treatment for revenue-related contracts and other technical accounting issues as needed.
- Expand and improve policies and procedures for monthly, quarterly, and annual close processes.
- Scale and refine processes to improve efficiencies and incorporate best practices including system and process design and implementation, utilizing data to maximize process automation and improve efficiency.
- Manage the collections process and reconcile bank deposits.
- Execute VAT and sales tax compliance activities, ensuring adherence to local and international regulations.
- Ensure efficient and accurate close processes including implementation of policies and procedures in accordance with US GAAP.
- Generate reliable and timely financial data and metrics to enable operational efficiency.
- Serve as a key resource for FP&A and Controllership to deliver relevant, timely, and accurate financial reporting.
- Collaborate with external auditors, providing necessary documentation and support during audits to ensure compliance with audit requirements.
- Be part of a public readiness journey from late-stage private to public including Sarbanes-Oxley compliance.
You will be successful here by:
- Developing, maintaining and adhering to policies and procedures, calendars, checklists, process maps, and other procedural documentation. Ensuring compliance with all corporate policies and procedures. Partnering cross-functionally to provide compliance reporting and process controls.
- Performing regular internal review procedures to ensure proper documentation, records, and the reviews and sign-offs. Facilitating and supporting audits through the delivery of records and documentation to external auditors, as required. Conducting research to ensure any anomalies are explained and resolved.
- Operating as an accounting subject matter expert. Collaborating with business stakeholders on business-lead initiatives. Facilitating the development of project plans and schedules, as necessary.
- Developing and maintaining in-depth knowledge of all systems to independently research and resolve issues.
We’re excited about you because:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business, related field, or combination of professional experience.
- Certified Public Accountant license (CPA) preferred.
- 4+ years of experience in revenue accounting or public accounting experience.
- Proven ability to manage and understand US GAAP and revenue processes.
- Prior experience with an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) System such as Netsuite or equivalent.
- Proven ability to design, implement, and continuously optimize close processes, as well as internal controls, aimed at balancing operational risk, quality, and increased efficiencies.
- Proven strength with understanding and accurately interpreting compliance and regulations.
- Strong knowledge and experience with process improvements and general accounting.
- Demonstrated strength with analytical and problem-solving skills, including advanced ability to analyze and present data.
- Proven ability to maintain excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes who we are and what we do. We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. And with billions of activity uploads from all over the world, we have a humbling and audacious vision: to be the record of the world’s athletic activities and the technology that makes every effort count.
Strava builds software that makes the best part of our athletes’ days even better. And just as we’re deeply committed to unlocking their potential, we’re dedicated to providing a world-class, inclusive workplace where our employees can grow and thrive, too. We’re backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, and we’re expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. Our culture reflects our community – we are continuously striving to hire and engage diverse teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know we are a stronger team together.
Despite challenges in the world around us, we are continuing to grow camaraderie and positivity within our culture and we are unified in our commitment to becoming an antiracist company. We are differentiated by our truly people-first approach, our compassionate leadership, and our belief that we can bring joy and inspiration to athletes’ lives — now more than ever. All to say, it’s a great time to join Strava!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.