Alma is on a mission to simplify access to high-quality, affordable mental health care. We do this by making it easy and financially rewarding for therapists to accept insurance and offer in-network care. When a provider joins Alma, they gain access to a suite of tools that not only help them better run their business, but also grow it sustainably and develop as a provider. Alma is available in all 50 states, with over 19,000 therapists in our growing network. Anyone looking for a therapist can browse Alma’s free directory. Alma has raised $220.5M in funding from Insight Partners, Optum Ventures, Tusk Venture Partners, Primary Venture Partners, First Round Capital, Sound Ventures, BoxGroup, Cigna Ventures, and Rainfall Ventures. Alma was also named one of Inc’s Best Workplaces in 2022.
Senior Tax Manager
Alma is seeking a mission-driven Senior Tax Manager to join our growing Accounting team. Reporting to our Director of Accounting, and working closely with the full finance and accounting teams, you will collaborate across the entire organization and play a critical role on all to do with taxes, including tax planning and research, tax provision preparation and review, federal and state income taxes, payroll tax compliance, sales taxes and more. You’ll also work on some of our most challenging and complex ad hoc accounting projects. The ideal candidate will be excited about building out an in-house tax function, has strong tax and accounting skills and has demonstrated success in a hyper-growth, fast paced environment.
What you’ll do:
- Own, design and build the overall tax function of the organization from building a better tracking system to evaluating tools to support tax needs
- Ensure accurate, timely filing of consolidated federal, state, and local income tax returns and other business-related filings (i.e., sales tax, payroll tax).
- Manage relationships with external tax advisors, working aside them to ensure that they are providing high-quality, cost-effective services while developing and implementing strategic tax planning for all necessary federal, state, and local taxes.
- Oversee various credit programs including R&D
- Assist in the preparation and review of the annual and quarterly income tax provision (ASC 740) and all related assumptions, analyses, journal entries, calculations and footnote disclosures. Includes management and coordination with finance and accounting departments, along with collaboration with external service providers.
- Monitor legislative/regulatory tax law developments, communicate the related income tax compliance impacts, and propose solutions/planning ideas.
- Maintain effective control procedures over all aspects of the tax process
Who you are:
- You have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Accounting or Taxation; CPA required
- You have 7-9 years of US income tax experience in public accounting and/or a corporate environment required.
- You have advanced Excel skills and experience with ERP systems, we use Netsuite and Avalara
- You have the ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- You have experience building and managing a tax team, showcasing effective leadership and fostering a collaborative work environment to achieve department goals.
- You have clear verbal and written communication skills
- We’re a remote-first company
- Health insurance plans through Cigna (medical and dental) and MetLife (vision), including FSA & HSA plans
- 401k plan (Roth and traditional)
- Free Alma platform access
- Monthly therapy and wellness stipends
- Monthly co-working space membership stipend
- Monthly work-from-home stipend to power your wifi, lunches, coffee, etc
- Pet discount program through United Pet Care
- Financial perks and rewards through BenefitHub
- Free EAP access through LifeWorks
- One-time home office stipend to set up your home office
- Comprehensive parental leave plans
- 9 paid holidays, 1 Alma Mental Health Day, and 1 Alma Volunteering Day
- Flexible PTO
Salary Band: $130,000-$160,000
Alma’s compensation philosophy is driven by our company value of building equity. To best ensure pay equity, we typically bring in new hires near the middle of our listed salary bands and we do not negotiate our compensation (i.e. all people hired at the same level & role are brought in at the same salary, equity, and benefits). The recruiter you work with can provide more details on our philosophy.
All Alma jobs are listed on our careers page. We do not use outside applications or automated text messaging in our recruiting process. We will not ask for any sensitive financial or identification information throughout the recruiting process. Any communication during the recruitment process, including interview requests or job offers, will come directly from a recruiting team member with a helloalma.com email address.