We’ve brought together an exceptional team at the intersection of clinical care, technology, and design to revolutionize how people connect with and receive care. We’re united by our collective personal experiences with the mental health care system and a desire to build a better one for everyone. With that, we’re excited and honored to have been recognized as one of the 2023 Bay Area Best Places to Work.
About the role
As a Staff Data Scientist, you will be responsible for partnering with our Matchmaker team to build, launch, and iterate on new versions of our client-clinician matching algorithm. Matching is at the heart of Two Chairs’ experience, helping us make high-quality matches at scale that drive best-in-class retention in therapy and strong therapeutic outcomes. You will partner with technical leaders across the organization to understand our approach towards Matchmaking, own the technical implementation of the Matchmaking algorithm, and design and implement experiments to improve it. In this role, you will work closely with other members of the data science and data engineering team and cross-functionally with Product, Engineering, Operations, and Clinical Leadership. This role has the unique opportunity to build technology that directly helps get clients into care faster while making matches that therapists love.
Core Areas of Responsibility
- The Matchmaker algorithm [70%]
- Your primary job responsibility will be to build, launch, and iterate on new versions of our Matchmaker algorithm. This will include writing production modeling code and collaborating with Software Engineers to implement that code in production. You will help us evolve our current algorithm from an internal component of an engineering application to a data-science owned service that is scalable, observable, improves yield, and gracefully incorporates new business functionality. Part of this will involve developing an evolved perspective on how our objective function and constraints are framed.
- Data platform [20%]
- You will partner with Data Engineering and DevOps to evolve our ML infrastructure, improving our ability to reliably serve production models and compare the impact of different models in statistically valid ways. This partnership includes work to generalize our ML infrastructure to serve other use cases at the business.
- Matchmaker analytics [10%]
- You will have the ownership to develop the right set of metrics for evaluating different versions of these algorithms, creating a scalable approach for this type of analysis, and executing that analysis as new models are tested.
- As you learn more about the Matching ecosystem at Two Chairs, you’ll support the Matchmaker team with relevant data and analysis to highlight trends and opportunities in the system.
Impact and Success Indicators
Where you’ll make an impact in the first 90 days:
- Demonstrate full end-to-end knowledge of Two Chairs’ Matching Ecosystem.
- Become proficient with the data generated and stored during the Matching process.
- Collaborate with engineers and data scientists to begin implementing initial improvements to the algorithm.
- Challenge our existing assumptions and constraints, bringing a fresh perspective to Two Chairs’ approach to Matchmaking.
Where you’ll make an impact in the first year:
- Accomplish a vast suite of improvements to the Matchmaker algorithm which help clients get into care much faster while keeping the quality of a match high.
- Enable Two Chairs to pursue different supply/demand optimization strategies based on different states, insurance partners, or client populations.
- Be a core contributor to new data science ML platform infrastructure to enable other ML products in the business to more easily be realized.
- Contribute to novel research, including sharing our research in white papers and publications
You’ll be successful if you have:
- Extensive experience developing and maintaining models from discovery stage to production. Hands on ML Ops experience and experience with ML in GCP is a plus
- Expertise at framing complex problems
- Experience with supply and demand optimization and iterating on complex objective functions
- Exceptional command of python and relevant ML libraries and tools
- Experience with randomized experimentation at scale
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Statistics, Operations Research, Mathematics, Computer Science, or other quantitative fields or related work experience
- Ability to build strong, collaborative partnerships with stakeholders
- Solid analytical thinking with the ability to translate business problems into scoped analytics problems
- A skill in using the right tools to get a job done with maximum efficiency, while balancing tradeoffs between speed and accuracy
Compensation & Benefits
We offer perks and benefits that support the health and well-being of our teams, including:
- Equity in a high-growth start-up
- PTO program, including a Winter Office Closing: Christmas Day (Observed) through New Year’s Day
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- One-time $200 Work from Home reimbursement
- Annual $500 professional development stipend to support your professional development
- Annual $500 subsidized company contribution to your healthcare FSA
- Annual $500 wellness stipend to encourage and support a well-rounded and healthy lifestyle
- Paid parental leave
About Two Chairs
At Two Chairs, we are building a world where everyone has access to exceptional mental health care. We do this by bringing people together at the intersection of clinical care, technology, and design. We are passionate about mental health and excited to be a part of a team that is bringing personalized, data-driven therapy to California, Washington, and eventually nationwide.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are the principles guiding how we build our business and teams. We encourage interested candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply even if they don’t think they meet every expectation of the role.
Please stay alert to protect yourself from sophisticated job scams during the recruiting process.
Only emails that come from twochairs.com are legitimate recruiting messages. We conduct all interviews by phone or Google Video, and we will never ask you for money or to download software.
More tips from the FTC to avoid job scams: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/ftc-offers-tips-on-avoiding-job-scams-041321.html