San Francisco, CA
Who We Are
Tonal is the smartest home gym and personal trainer. It has completely revolutionized the way people work out at home, with its sleek design and advanced A.I. technology. We’ve united a diverse team of experts and decades of research to reinvent strength training, making it more efficient, more effective and more engaging.
With this in mind, we want to bring that same innovative approach to the workplace. At Tonal, we continue our shift of emphasis by growing our instrumental team. We collectively weave our knowledge and creativity, as we redefine the future of fitness. We are passionate about building products that transform lives, and building teams that transform the status quo. Together, we can be our strongest.
Tonal is looking for a dedicated manager of our Infrastructure & DevOps team to work cross-functionally with diverse groups such as product, engineering, legal and IT, and play a critical role in building the platform that powers the world’s most intelligent personal trainer. You will be given the opportunity to solve challenging problems in the development of foundational infrastructure for a unique consumer fitness product, as well as implementing tools and technologies to help improve developer productivity. You are entrepreneurial, thrive in a fast-paced, agile environment, and execute at an A-level. Like us, you value clean, fast, high-performing, and maintainable software.
What You Will Do
- Own the deployment and maintenance of major infrastructure systems and tooling that power Tonal backend services and allow for application development and deployment.
- Work cross-functionally with various groups within Tonal, including Engineering, Data Science & AI, Product, Security, Legal, etc. to gather stakeholder requirements and prioritize work.
- Manage a team of 3-6 infrastructure and DevOps engineers and help them manage technical hurdles, prioritize work, and provide mentorship and career growth development.
- Develop roadmaps and project plans that provide visibility into the team’s work and share these artifacts with Software Engineering & Data Science leadership.
- Drive efficiencies in Tonal’s backend architecture via monitoring, alerting, and implementation of cost-saving mechanisms
- Manage the team’s on-call rotation and assist with troubleshooting and resolution of errors in real-time.
Who You Are
- 7+ years of experience as a software engineer, particularly in DevOps and/or infrastructure engineering.
- 3+ years of experience in managing a team with demonstrated ability to guide and mentor others
- Motivated leader with experience owning infrastructure projects end-to-end and a desire to work in a fast-paced, iterative, and collaborative environment.
- Track record of solving problems end-to-end with little-to-no oversight.
- Proficiency in automation, creating reusable patterns and solutions.
- Strong experience utilizing Infrastructure as Code (IaC) principles (e.g. using Terraform)
- Strong experience managing containerized infrastructure (e.g. using EKS, Kubernetes, Helm, Docker) and using AWS cloud technologies (IAM, EKS, RDS, EC2, et al.)
- Experience architecting, configuring, and deploying CI/CD pipelines following GitOps practices and using tools such as Github Actions, ArgoCD, and Argo Workflows.
- Knowledge of best practices for monitoring and alerting on cloud-based microservices (e.g. using Prometheus, Thanos, Grafana, Loki).
- Experience with management of cloud-based relational databases (e.g. AWS Aurora Postgres)
- Expertise in cybersecurity best practices and demonstrated knowledge of cloud security solutions including identity and access management (e.g. Auth0, Okta, and Vault).
- Excellent communicator with the ability to work collaboratively and cohesively in a cross-functional team.
- Excellent troubleshooting and root-cause analysis skills, calm under pressure, and highly communicative during incidents.
- Experience working with remote teams.
- Experience with Emissary Ingress/Envoy.
- Experience with data-intensive applications, big data pipelines and analytics, having used tools such as Airflow, Snowflake and Databricks.
- Interest in the fitness industry.