Director of Research
AllTrails is the most trusted and used outdoors platform in the world. We help people explore the outdoors with hand-curated trail maps along with photos, reviews, and user recordings crowdsourced from our community of millions of registered hikers, mountain bikers and trail runners in 150 countries. AllTrails is frequently ranked as a top-5 Health and Fitness app and has been downloaded by over 50 million people worldwide. We were Apple’s App of the Year in 2023!
Every day, we solve incredibly hard problems so that we can get more people outside having healthy, authentic experiences and a deeper appreciation of the outdoors. Join us!
About the Team and the Role
The Research function is part of AllTrails’ Product team. It works across product management, design, marketing, and business functions to inform and deliver experiences that fulfill user needs. There are still many opportunities to define, questions to answer, practices & systems to develop, and far-reaching strategic decisions to inform.
In short, you will help us shape the future of AllTrails. Reporting directly to the CPO, you will lead the UX research and consumer insights team. You will be responsible for managing other researchers and your team will play a major role in shaping how we grow quantitative and qualitative research skills as an organization. In addition to conducting primary research, the Research Team also enables other AllTrails employees (such as designers, product managers and marketers) to learn and apply particular research methods to questions of interest.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Leading, mentoring, and developing a talented team of researchers
- Designing and executing primary research to inform the organization about user needs, in service of creating useful and delightful products and effective marketing
- Proactively driving and leading the research function by keeping all partners informed, influencing key decisions, and providing visibility of the work of team members
- Conducting qualitative and quantitative studies that address both user behavior and attitudes, developing systems to track key metrics where appropriate (e.g., brand awareness tracking, customer satisfaction, competitive analysis etc.)
- Acting as a strategic partner and collaborator with cross-functional peers and leaders across Product, Marketing, International, etc. to impact both long-term strategy and short-term tactics, grounding decisions in user needs
- Effectively managing and prioritizing research plans through ambiguous and fast-changing environments
- Communicating results and illustrating recommendations in compelling and creative ways
- Establishing and scaling our survey capabilities and operations (e.g., participant management, tooling & access, training, etc.)
- Educating and empowering other AllTrails employees to develop and apply basic research competencies through programs, toolkits, and trainings
- 10+ years conducting user experience research and/or market research preferred (may consider fewer years of industry experience for candidates with relevant advanced degrees.)
- 3+ years experience as a people manager at a large consumer technology company
- Experience effectively being a player-coach, willing and comfortable diving into IC projects as well as managing a team
- Experience working with large scale data sets (logs, surveys, experimental design)
- Experience in end-to-end survey design, including sampling and weighting, and strong questionnaire construction
- Ability to connect business problems to measurable outcomes, such as developing metrics representative of the user experience in partnership with the analytics team
- Ability to communicate complex data to non-quantitative audiences, including use of appropriate data visualization & conceptual models, building engagement and action based on findings
- Humility, empathy and open-mindedness – no egos
- You’ve stood up survey systems & operations in a startup environment / small organization
- You’ve conducted customer segmentations, such as attitudinal segmentations of a total addressable market
- You have experience with key qualitative user-centered methods (e.g., interviewing, concept-testing, message testing, usability testing, etc.) & have interest in conducting qualitative research and/or mixed-method studies
- Passion for the outdoors and working and learning in a fast-growing company
What We Offer:
- A competitive and equitable compensation plan. This is a full-time, salaried position that includes equity
- Physical & mental well-being including health, dental and vision benefits
- Trail Days: First Friday of each month to hit the trails!
- Unlimited PTO
- Flexible parental leave
- Annual continuing education stipend
- Discounts on subscriptions and merchandise for you and your friends & family
- An authentic investment in you as a human being and your career as a professional