We are redefining how people approach their health
ZOE is combining scientific research at a scale never before imagined and cutting-edge AI to improve the health of millions.
Created by the world’s top scientists, our personalised nutrition program is reimagining a fundamental human need – eating well for your own body. Currently available in the US and the UK, ZOE is already helping > 100k ZOE members to adopt healthier habits and live better. Our work and expertise in biology, engineering, data science, and nutrition science have led to multiple breakthrough papers in leading scientific journals such as Nature Medicine, Science, The Lancet, and more.
To learn more, head to Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or Audible to listen to our Science & Nutrition Podcast (with 3 million listens!)
A remote-first, high-growth startup, we are backed by founders, investors, and entrepreneurs who have built multi-billion dollar technology companies. We are always looking for innovative thinkers and builders to join our team on a thrilling mission to tackle epic health problems. Together, we can improve human health and touch millions of lives.
We value inclusivity, transparency, ownership, open-mindedness and diversity. We are passionate about delivering great results and learning in the open. We want our teams to have the freedom to make long-term, high-impact decisions, and the well-being of our teammates and the people around us is a top priority.
Check out what life is like for our tech team on ZOE Tech.
We’re looking for a Lead Data Engineer to take ZOE even further.
Meet the team
The mission of the Platform team is to accelerate ZOEntists’ path to production. We provide the building blocks to enable our teams to move fast and maximise their focus time on solving business problems.
We are responsible for building and maintaining the technical components that enable our organisation to develop, deploy, and operate high-quality software products at scale. We primarily focus on cloud infrastructure, data platform and devx.
At ZOE we strongly believe in DevOps as a culture ” You build it, you run it”. To achieve this vision, we heavily focus on enablement and strive to provide the best self-serve platform experience to make teams highly productive.We operate in a fast-paced environment. We work closely with engineers to understand what slows them down and continuously improve their productivity. We standardise best practices, push for consistency and raise the technical bar across our teams. We also provide technical guidance and support.On our Data Platform, our systems make use of GCP, Apache Airflow, Fivetran, DataStream, BigQuery, dbt, HEX or Holistics. Our code is primarily written in Python and we also manage our Data Platform with IaaC using Terraform and Config Connector.
About the role
As a Lead Data Engineer, you will be working with a large number of stakeholders including engineers, data scientists, data analysts and/or analytics engineers.
You will play a key role in supporting ZOEntists to accelerate data-driven innovations and decision-making. You will have the opportunity to drive change and mentor teams to ingest, transform, store and visualise data in a performant, reliable, scalable and cost-effective manner.
- Spearheading the development, testing, tuning, and maintenance of our Data Platform.
- Collaborating with various teams to enhance system integration and augment data quality; solving complex business problems with data-powered solutions.
- We are enabling ease and speed of data discovery for teams.
- Making substantial contributions to the design of our data platform. Exploring and integrating innovative technologies within our tech stack.
- Liaising with stakeholders within and outside the Technology department to deliver state-of-the-art, self-serve solutions that empower our engineers and drive business success.
- Mentoring and guiding other engineers to foster a culture of continuous growth and knowledge sharing.
- Leading by example, advocating for high consistency and best-in-class developer experience that optimises for lead time.
- Driving the adoption of best industry practices and standards proactively, enhancing the overall quality of our engineering processes and output.
- Collaborating closely with our Cloud Infrastructure leaders to create a secure, reliable, and observable Data Platform.
We think you’ll be a great fit if you…
- Experience in a similar role, with a proven track record of working on data integration, ETL processes, and data warehousing.
- Bring expertise in managing large data platforms in cloud-native environments such as GCP, AWS or Microsoft Azure.
- Have a solid Software Engineering background.
- Can deal with ambiguity. As a Series B Start-up, we often need to iterate fast and clarify on the go.
- Believe in outcome over output. Focus on what matters most and measure the impact of your work.
- Are passionate about operation excellence and comfortable leading by example.
- Enjoy working in a collaborative environment. You will work closely with different stakeholders and lead cross-functional projects.
- Are passionate about ML modelling and Ops.