San Francisco, CA
Heard is an all-in-one financial solution for therapists that combines software and human support to handle bookkeeping, taxes, payroll, and more. Our mission is to help therapists be therapists by acting as their financial back office to empower therapists to spend less time running their business and more time giving clients the help and support they need through an affordable, easy-to-use software tool with real-time human support.
Heard is growing rapidly, and could use your expertise to help us become an industry-leading software services provider for independent mental health practitioners!
Heard is seeking a dynamic Senior Software Engineer with 6+ years of experience to spearhead the development of the financial back-office for therapists. This influential role will primarily revolve around crafting and enhancing the Heard API and bolstering the backend infrastructure of the Heard platform.
Joining the Heard team at this pivotal juncture presents an exciting opportunity for professional growth and the chance to leave a lasting imprint on the expanding engineering organization. As we gear up to scale our product, business, and overall enterprise, the ideal candidate will be crucial in steering this transformative journey. Their comprehensive technical leadership within their team and domain will be instrumental in shaping the trajectory of our growth, ensuring a robust and adaptable system architecture that can seamlessly accommodate evolving demands and sustain optimal performance. Emphasizing a hands-on approach to mentorship, this individual will actively cultivate the talents of their team members, fostering a culture of continuous learning and personal development. Their adeptness at managing and refining processes, coupled with their collaborative spirit across departments, will be pivotal in fostering a harmonious and synergistic work environment that propels our collective vision forward.
The Accounting Pod at Heard comprises three specialized engineers dedicated to delivering top-notch financial back office solutions, central to Heard’s mission of supporting therapists in establishing robust financial infrastructures. They handle critical accounting functions such as chart of accounts, general ledger management, and more. Their projects include:
• Enhancing the chart of accounts.
• Maintaining balance sheet accuracy.
• Meticulously recording manual journal entries.
• Resolving bookkeeping backlogs for efficiency.
• Innovating automated journal entry solutions.
These initiatives directly contribute to Heard’s core objectives. The Accounting Pod’s work is instrumental in maintaining Heard’s reputation for excellence, characterized by a shared commitment to operational efficiency, deep accounting expertise, and an unwavering focus on innovation.
Our Core Values
- Focus on the customer
- Psychological safety always
- Go the extra mile, together
- Be relentlessly curious
- 100% ownership
Key Responsibilities & Competencies
- You will lead and master the entire technology stack of the system built on Node, Express, Heroku, and Postgres.
- You will drive architectural evolution to support current and future requirements.
- You will guide and accelerate the career growth of others, encouraging their active participation through mentorship and coaching.
- You will adjust team processes, considering feedback and guiding the team through necessary changes.
- You will extend influence beyond your team, reaching other teams and their technical and product-led roadmaps.
- 6+ years of experience as a software engineer or with experience with languages such as typescript.
- Proven experience building complex systems in complex subject matters, making decisions on scope, architecture, and feasibility
- Capable of digging into the details and edge cases, and identifying blockers and areas of failure ahead of time. The Tax world is unforgiving (in both deadlines and in edge cases), so it’s important that this person pay attention to the small details
- Able to write easily maintainable, well-structured code that considers the real-world business context. This person should know how to build systems that last, and understand how to make critical trade offs when making architectural decisions
- Comfortable with both FE and BE development, this is a full stack role that will encompass Heard’s full stack
- User-centric and product-minded
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and enjoy working with operational and customer stakeholders
- Comfortable with regularly providing feedback and open to receiving feedback
- Experience building products in the FinTech industry, or on products that have handled financial information, a plus
What You Get in Return
- Opportunity to revolutionize the mental health industry and build both relationships and teams that make a tangible impact on our customers and their patients
- An environment that prioritizes your psychological safety always. We empower team members to be relentlessly curious and act with 100% ownership, believing that we can go the extra mile, together
- Competitive salary package and benefits, which include flexible PTO, medical coverage, retirement support, and wellness stipends
- Unlimited PTO
- Healthcare and dental
- Mental Wellness Stipend
- Remote Work Stipend