San Francisco, CA
Hinge Health is moving people beyond pain by transforming the way it is treated and prevented. Connecting people digitally and in-person with expert clinical care, we combine advanced technology, AI and a care team of experts to guide people through personalized care directly from their phone. Our approach is proven to reduce pain by 68%, prevent 42% of new opioid prescriptions, and avoid more than half of joint replacement surgeries. Available to 18M people, Hinge Health is trusted by leading health plans and employers, including Land O’Lakes, L.L. Bean, Salesforce, Self-Insured Schools of California, Southern Company, State of New Jersey, US Foods, and Verizon.
Learn more at http://www.hingehealth.com
Hinge Health Hybrid Model:
We believe that remote work and in-person work have their own advantages and disadvantages, and we want to be able to leverage the best of both worlds. Employees in hybrid roles are required to be in the office 2 days/week. We will be expanding to 3 days/week in the office beginning April of 2024.
About the Role
Hinge Health is looking for an experienced and motivated Director, Compliance Counsel to join our compliance & legal team and work with us in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. This role will focus on supporting our healthcare compliance, corporate compliance & ethics, product team, marketing team, and other internal business teams, as assigned. The Director, Compliance Counsel may also have the opportunity to work on projects that intersect with privacy, technology, and information security, as the need arises. This is a unique opportunity to join a small team as we grow, both as a team and a company. You’ll work closely with compliance and legal colleagues on our team, as well as in close coordination with the business groups you’ll support, including those in leadership roles. This role provides an exciting opportunity to continue learning and growing your professional skills within a collaborative team of professionals, and will provide opportunities to demonstrate your leadership skills.
Description of an ideal candidate
The ideal candidate is a self-starter who loves to learn, is willing to roll up their sleeves and dive in and has in-house experience working in a dynamic, fast-paced, and healthcare tech focused environment. We are looking for someone with experience providing legal and regulatory compliance guidance related to healthcare and tech, managing compliance program responsibilities, including policy management, leading regulatory inquiry and audit responses, and providing guidance to product and other business teams from initial stages of development to implementation phases of new products or services, providing risk-mitigation and compliance guidance along the way. The ideal candidate has a background in federal healthcare programs (Medicare, Medicaid, VA), government contracting (FAR), state laws impacting health care providers, healthcare operations, FTC compliance for health apps, product compliance, marketing compliance, revenue cycle compliance, clinical policy compliance, and has worked in-house on a compliance or legal team where they gained experience supporting internal business clients. Willingness to be a team player and collaborate on process improvement projects is also essential.
WHAT YOU’LL ACCOMPLISH
- Provide legal and regulatory guidance that enables the business to pursue healthcare market opportunities, including growth in federally funded healthcare programs.
- Review and provide feedback on compliance portions of partner and vendor contracts, with an eye toward ensuring adequacy and compliant terms.
- Work with internal business teams to support product and service growth by providing actionable compliance guidance and risk-mitigation strategies.
- Manage compliance program elements such as policy management, compliance investigation support, and risk analysis.
- Provide compliance risk analysis and audit/monitoring leadership.
- Provide compliance guidance for healthcare provider operations, licensing, credentialing, accreditation, and state law related questions in a 50-state environment.
- Work cross-functionally with privacy and information security teams, product, marketing, IT, and others to resolve compliance concerns and strengthen the company’s culture of compliance.
- Other related duties as assigned.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- JD degree with bar passage in one US jurisdiction.
- A minimum of 10+ years of related legal experience focusing on healthcare compliance or regulatory matters. Certification from HCCA, SCCE, IAPP, or similar compliance or auditing certification from a recognized industry association is a bonus.
- Experience working in-house in a healthcare legal or corporate compliance program or with a federal or state regulatory agency is highly preferred. Healthcare and/or tech industry legal/compliance experience would be ideal.
- Motivation to contribute value to your business partners with your project leadership capabilities, and your insightful, concise and actionable regulatory and compliance guidance and to keep current with relevant legal and regulatory changes impacting Hinge Health’s business.
- Demonstrated legal and compliance knowledge in multiple regulatory areas that support Hinge Health’s products and services, including new markets outside of the USA.
- Ability to manage projects from start to finish, and ability to lead people or cross-functional teams, as needed to complete major compliance objectives.
- Willingness to learn new technologies that help Hinge Health operate more efficiently.
- Ability to thrive in a rapidly changing and growing environment, and capability to prioritize and meet competing project needs.
- Ability to work as part of a team by engaging effectively in collaborative work with colleagues to support Hinge Health’s business teams.
- Flexibility and adaptability to handle ambiguity.
WHAT YOU’LL LOVE ABOUT US
- Competitive compensation with meaningful stock options
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability and Life Insurance (We cover 100% of your premium and 75% for your dependents)
- 401K match
- 3 months paid parental leave
- Daily lunch
- Professional Development budget
- Monthly wellness benefit
- Generous mental health stipend
- Noise-cancelling headphones
- Work from home policy
- Opportunity to join a fantastically talented, diverse, and passionate team at a pivotal time in the company’s lifecycle