Senior Software Engineer (C++/Qt, video)
Our mission is to improve the performance of athletes and teams, which we do by engineering the premier technology platform for sport. We’ve been at the forefront of sports technology and science since 2006 — we don’t just work in the sporting industry, we are actively changing its future. Our solutions are designed to help athletes and coaches “play smart” in a world where 1% can literally mean the difference between winning and losing.
We work with over 3,000 teams around the world, empowering coaches, managers and trainers in premier teams in the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLS, EPL, AFL, NRL, NCAA and more. We provide the information they need to optimise athletes’ health, game-day readiness, and performance, as well as in-game tactics. Our solutions include wearable technology, video analytics, and athlete monitoring solutions, and we are passionate about helping sports organisations at all levels to better scout, recruit, teach, and win.
WE WANT PEOPLE WHO ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT BUILDING BEAUTIFUL SOFTWARE
We are looking for a talented and inquisitive Senior Software Engineer (C++/Qt) whose drive for learning and determination for continuous improvement aligns with our ambitious, fast-growing and transforming company. Based in London, you will be a key player in planning, designing, building and testing the features. We believe that our customers deserve the best platform and we are on a mission to maximise and enhance their performance through delivering a high quality experience. Our software engineers match this ethos by taking responsibility for constantly improving productivity and development of self and be able to excel in a fast-paced environment with short project timelines from conception to deployment.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Design and implement professional C++/Qt applications using sound software engineering practices. In particular, developing and maintaining full-stack cross-platform desktop and mobile applications for accessing and viewing video and data for coaches and athletes to analyse games and practices
- Analyse and decompose complex software systems and collaborate with cross-functional teams to influence design for scalability and testability
- Develop and maintain software for processing high-volume low-latency video streams
- Contribute deeply to the implementation and maintenance of efficient, reusable, reliable, and secure code to solve a variety of customers needs while considering existing technology, architecture and processes
- Actively participate in team engineering processes, design meetings and code reviews with the view of continuously lifting quality and improving
- Participate in the whole software lifecycle including development, CI/CD and production maintenance to improve overall scalability, efficiency, reliability, and security
- Document your code clearly and concisely as well as describing tests and aiding the production of user documentation
- Mentor others to improve their technical skills
- Bring a growth mindset to every task – sharing ideas and opinions with an attitude and appetite for improvement; the ability to challenge, pursue outcomes and take ownership of tasks in a collaborative environment
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Extensive professional development experience in C++, and ideally with strong experience with Qt/QML for multi-platform development
- Degree in computer science or other scientific or technical area
- Strong understanding object-oriented design skills and of design for scalability, performance, reliability, and security
- Deep understanding of real-time and multi-threaded programming concepts
- Experience developing efficient data structures and algorithms
- A clear understanding of how to write testable and maintainable code
- A strong foundation in modern design patterns for enterprise applications
- A drive to build productive working relationships across our teams
- Highly-developed problem-solving capabilities, and a willingness to learn
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, writing and presentation skills
- Working collaboratively in an entrepreneurial team environment
- Experience of video streaming and developing applications that process video is preferred
- Experience with open-source media libraries (FFmpeg or similar) is preferred
- Experience developing applications on Windows or Mac is preferred
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the most ambitious and intelligent people in an exciting industry, and you will do some of the best work of your life.
- We encourage our people to have constructive, open and honest communication in order to make Catapult extraordinary; innovate and create smart solutions; establish a collaborative, yet challenging, environment to develop our performance and the performance of our customers.
- Our workforce spans more than 20 countries, you’ll have the opportunity to work across multiple nationalities and cultures, and build your global awareness and capability
- We value improvement and development. We are challenging ourselves to continuously grow and become a high-performance company. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do, and our people are always looking for ways to do things better. There is unlimited opportunity to grow, do more, and do better.
Whether you’re interested in sports or not, you’ll have the satisfaction of knowing your work is supporting some of the most successful teams and athletes on the planet!
Research shows that while men apply for jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalised groups tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don’t meet every single point in our job ad, please still get in touch! We would love to have a chat and see if you could be a great addition to our team. We are building the future of sports performance, and our priority is to find the brightest talent that can add to our team culture – individuals who actively contribute and who are excited about what they do.
All offers of employment are subject to Catapult’s positive prehire check. To find out more, please contact the Talent Partner for this role