San Francisco, CA
Hinge Health is creating a new health care system, built around you. Accessible to 26 million members across 1,500 customers, Hinge Health is the #1 digital clinic for joint and muscle pain, delivering superior member outcomes and proven claims reductions. We pair the industry’s most advanced motion technology and wearable pain relief with a complete clinical care team of physical therapists, physicians, and board-certified health coaches to help people move beyond pain and reduce surgeries and opioid use. Hinge Health’s HingeConnect integrates with 1 million+ in-person providers to enable earlier interventions for avoidable MSK surgeries. Four in five health plans and employers with a digital MSK solution trust Hinge Health, including Land O’Lakes, L.L. Bean, Salesforce, Self-Insured Schools of California, Southern Company, State of New Jersey, US Foods, and Verizon. Learn more at http://www.hingehealth.com
Hinge Health Hybrid Model:
We believe that remote work and in-person work have their own advantages and disadvantages, and want to be able to leverage the best of both worlds. Some roles which require a greater degree of day-to-day collaboration will benefit from more in-person opportunities. Employees in Hybrid roles are expected to be in office 1 day/week (Wednesdays) in hub locations that have an office, and may be expanded to 2 days in 2024.
About the Role
Hinge Health is looking for an experienced and motivated Compliance Counsel to join our compliance & legal team and work with us in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. This role will focus on supporting our healthcare compliance, corporate compliance & ethics, and compliance auditing programs. The Compliance Counsel may also have the opportunity to work on projects that intersect with privacy, technology, and information security, as the need arises. This is a unique opportunity to join a small team as we grow, both as a team and a company. You’ll work closely with compliance and legal colleagues on our team, as well as in close coordination with the business groups you’ll support, including those in leadership roles. This role provides an exciting opportunity to learn and grow your professional skills within a collaborative team of professionals.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter who loves to learn, is willing to roll up their sleeves and dive in and has in-house experience working in a dynamic, fast-paced, and heavily regulated industry environment. We are looking for someone with experience providing regulatory compliance guidance, researching regulatory environments for new and growing business lines, supporting business teams who are expanding their scope of operations, and who isn’t afraid of jumping into new and emerging markets and technologies as they grow their skills. The ideal candidate has a background in federal healthcare programs (Medicare, Medicaid, VA), healthcare operations including revenue cycle management and/or claims processes and appeals, FTC compliance for health apps, and has worked in-house on a compliance or legal team where they gained experience supporting business clients.
WHAT YOU’LL ACCOMPLISH
- Perform legal and regulatory research that sets the stage for business enablement in growing healthcare market opportunities, including growth in federally funded healthcare programs.
- Reviewing compliance portions of partner and vendor contracts with an eye toward ensuring adequacy and compliant terms.
- Completing compliance attestations, responding to inquiries and other requests from contracted health plan partners and regulatory agencies.
- Assist in managing key compliance program operations including annual policy and procedure updates, drafting compliance communications, and assisting with escalated internal and/or external compliance matters as identified.
- Provide legal and regulatory support for compliance auditing and monitoring, and lead internal teams in responding to routine and non-routine audits, as necessary.
- Willingness to work cross-functionally with privacy and information security teams as part of a group effort to maintain Hinge Health’s compliance operations and our culture of compliance.
- Other related duties as assigned.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- JD degree with bar passage in one US jurisdiction.
- A minimum of 5+ years of related legal experience focusing on compliance or regulatory matters. Certification from HCCA, SCCE, IAPP, or similar compliance or auditing certification from a recognized industry association is a bonus.
- Experience working in-house in a healthcare legal or corporate compliance program or with a federal or state regulatory agency is highly preferred. Healthcare and/or tech industry legal/compliance experience would be ideal.
- Motivated to contribute value to your business partners with insightful, concise and actionable regulatory and compliance guidance and to keep current with relevant legal and regulatory changes impacting Hinge Health’s business.
- Demonstrate legal and compliance knowledge in multiple regulatory areas that support Hinge Health’s products and services.
- Willingness to learn new technologies that help Hinge Health operate more efficiently.
- Ability to thrive in a rapidly changing and growing environment, and willingness to continue learning and growing your legal and compliance skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team by engaging effectively in collaborative work with colleagues to support Hinge Health’s business teams.
- Flexibility/adaptability to handle ambiguity and adapt to shifting requirements impacting your role in a growing company.
WHAT YOU’LL LOVE ABOUT US
- Inclusive healthcare and benefits: On top of comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage, we offer employees and their family members help with gender-affirming care, tools for family and fertility planning, and travel reimbursements if healthcare isn’t available where you live.
- Planning for the future: Start saving for the future with our traditional or Roth 401k retirement plan options which include a 2% company match.
- Modern life stipends: Manage your own learning and development budget, use the mental health to support therapy costs, and lifestyle stipends to cover your favorite wellness services, and work-from-home equipment.
- Flexible vacation and paid time off: Employees have flexibility to choose when, how, and why they take time off to rest and recharge. Exempt employees can take advantage of our flexible pto program. Nonexempt employees can utilize up to two weeks of sick time and up to 17 days of vacation per year, including mental health days.
- In Office Perks: Daily lunch, coffee/tea and office snacks, and weekly social hours.
- Other compensation: At Hinge Health, we want every employee to be invested and rewarded in the future success of the company. All full-time positions are eligible for equity.